Tips To Achieve A Great Food Photo

I am not a professional photographer. I never took photography lessons or any course in that regard. I just don't have the money and time for it, but one thing is certain - I do love taking pictures no matter what camera or phone I use, most especially food pictures.

Being a blogger, it has become a habit of mine to take food pictures from the restaurants we visited. Here are some food photos used in this blog:

Chairman Wang's




From the post: https://www.eyesonmanila.com/2017/04/lunch-date-at-little-quiapo-bf-homes.html


Halo-Halo

Fried Chicken


From the post: Afternoon Snack in Burgoo,  https://www.eyesonmanila.com/2016/11/afternoon-snack-in-burgoo.html



I have used different cameras/camera phones in taking these pictures. Like I mentioned, I am not a professional, but if you were to take my advice on how to take a good food photo, here are my thoughts: 


  1. Get a camera that offers high megapixels and a good zoom feature. This is pretty basic information for everyone; the higher the megapixels (MP), the better and clearer the shots would be. The camera I used for the photos above has 13MP. For Chairman Wang's food photos, I used my camera's zoom feature to emphasize the food even more. 
  2. Shoot first, eat later. Another common practice that people do nowadays is that they take a photo of the food freshly served to them before eating. I really can't blame them, especially if the food looks exquisite. 
  3. Good light. You really need to have good lighting in order to get that great food photo. That's why sometimes in buffet tables, I find it hard to get a good picture of the food because of the lack of lighting just like in the photo below:

    Pasty dessert
  4. If you fancy a camera phone, aside from having a high MP, get one with at least 2GB of RAM. the higher the RAM, the faster the phone can process the picture. In just one click, you get a clear picture in less than a second. I used to have a camera phone that has 1GB and whenever I take an HD picture, it takes about 5 seconds for it process which is a big inconvenience. 
  5. Take as many photos as you can. For me, I take as many photos as I can with the food and in different angles. Then I can decide which one to use for my blog at home when I do my canvassing. 
This is all the tips I could share with you. I do hope you'll find them helpful.

Do you want to add more to the list? Do write them down in the comments below this post. I'm more than happy to receive some feedback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment