Compassion Can Help Make the World a Better Place

When I hear the word, compassion, I instantly remember my former Math professor back in college and her name is Ms. Roba. She is a great Math teacher. In fact, because of her, Math has become an easy subject for me thanks to her unique teaching methods and deep understanding of the subject. She is an intelligent, witty, robust person who does not fancy wearing jewelry in her body or wear expensive clothes. She always looks simple, neat, and respectable.
L to R: Me & Ms. Roba in one of our
advocacies

But it was only in my 3rd year of college that I discovered more about Ms. Roba other than being a Math teacher because I got involved with the programs she was into. Among those programs include building free houses for the poor, giving free computer literacy programs to the rural areas of the Philippines, organizing relief goods for areas hit by a typhoon, visiting orphanages, and so much more volunteer work that she barely goes home to her own family. It’s because of her compassion to our fellow Filipinos who are in need that drives her and I was lucky enough to witness that first hand and it inspired me tremendously. 

Her compassion for others has inspired a lot of students like me to reach out to the poor especially the unprivileged children. And thanks to that, I was able to experience the most beautiful and heartfelt “thank you” in my life. An orphan whom we gave some clothes, toys, and treated to a decent lunch (fried chicken with rice, drink, and a dessert) approached me. She looked me in the eye with a smile and said, “Thank you po. Ang saya-saya ko po ngayon. (Thank you. I’m so happy right now),” and then she gave me a hug.

That was the best feeling I have ever felt in my entire life that no amount of money could parallel because I made someone happy. I felt so peaceful inside because my heart was filled with joy and was contented. And for that,  I thanked the Lord with all my heart for letting me meet Ms. Roba and for teaching me what compassion is all about. I thanked Him for giving me such a wonderful experience in my life because it made me a better person. I also thought if only people knew how wonderful it feels to help others and feel compassion for them, then they would appreciate their life even more. 

Poverty is a difficult life to live in. It pushes people to commit petty crimes or even resort to drug addiction just to survive the day.  It is also said to be the ultimate sickness or disease of mankind.  But Ms. Roba believes and I also believe that through compassion, we can help make this world a better place for everyone through our little ways. 




When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.(Mathew 14:14)

Visit ComeUntoChrist.org and learn more about the principles of peace and how they can help bring you closer to the Savior. #PrinceofPeace

No comments:

Post a Comment