My Childhood Days

Photo from Unsplash 
When I was a little girl, I’ve always been “big boned” and got plenty of body fat. I had no problems with my health because I was an active child. I love running with my friends, always in the playground after school since there was a playground at the back of our house, did some sports like swimming, tennis, table tennis, and a lot more. Well, we used to live in a compound where sports facilities are available to residents so exploring different sports is easy. So to supply myself with energy, I eat lots of rice.  

Unfortunately, since I live in the province here in the Philippines, most people still think that my body built was too big for my age and height.  That’s because Filipinos in the provinces are generally thin. They seldom would see kids like me who are “big boned.” When I was around 12 years old, I weighed around 110 pounds, I think.  So my aunt, for example, would always tell me that I’m so big already and fat. Whenever she visits our house, that’s the initial greeting I hear from her, always. That’s why I always frown whenever she says things like that. But still, I ignored her side comments and just ate whatever I wanted. I didn’t get what she was trying to say also since I was just a kid. I didn’t care if I’d look thin – I mean why would I?

Growing up in the 90s, I had no problems with regards to my image whatsoever. Since body image is important to those who want to attract someone, that was not my main concern back in high school. Sure, I had a few crushes in school, but I loved going home early and playing with our Playstation 1 even more. I was also hooked on watching anime. I think Dragon Ball Z was still being aired at that time. Oh, those were the days.

The only times when I worry about how I looked was whenever I went to the junior/senior prom. I didn’t actually worry about my body. I didn’t have to lose a few pounds just to make a dress fit.  I just worried about the dress I was going to wear because I had to buy one and it’s pretty expensive. Hair and make-up was a no-brainer because my mom was very happy to do it. I also remember I had my period during our senior night and that's one of my fears, but I didn’t worry because I wore my reliable underwear and pad that I trusted (Click here if you want to know more).


I guess what I’m trying to say is that kids should be kids. They should enjoy being a kid and not be pressured with body image.  I enjoyed my childhood because I didn’t worry too much about the little things like being thin, eating less, and such. I eat because I was hungry and I needed the energy to keep up.  I just did what was fun for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment